By Denise M. Brown
A colleague sent me an email in December. “I have a friend of a friend who’s in a crisis. I think she’s caring for a parent. Which organization should she call to get help?"
The reality is we don’t have a community organization that any family caregiver can call during a crisis.
“Please have her call me,” I replied. “I’d be happy to help."
My colleague’s friend called the next day and explained the situation. Her mother-in-law was to be discharged from the hospital but she didn’t know how they would manage her care at home. Over the next few weeks, the family caregiver reached out for help. I listened, offered suggestions, gave guidance, and provided words of comfort she was doing all she could.
Every family caregiver needs a Certified Caregiving Consultant, a professional who understands, guides and comforts throughout the caregiving experience. Consider the reality of our current health care system:
- We have a significant shortage of direct care workers, which means more and more care falls to the family caregiver.
- The health care system continues to move care to the low-cost and no-cost models. Consider the increase in the number of Hospital at Home programs.
- The consolidation of payers, providers and systems mean we all must be informed health care consumers.
Even though the family caregiver is the all-the-time provider for a family member with an illness, disease or disability, our systems still don’t offer ongoing support, training and help for the family caregiver. That’s where you come in.
Like you, we believe the best resource for a family caregiver is another family caregiver. When we connect with another who gets it, we receive the best kind of support -- understanding, compassionate and caring.
Because a caregiving experience is a painful one, every family caregivers deserves the company of a professional who understands how to be with someone in pain. When a family caregiver feels understood, healing happens.
We also believe that a personal caregiving experience provides the best kind of foundation for professional transformation.
Our Certified Caregiving Consultant™ training program offers the insights about the caregiving experience and teaches the communication techniques which enhance your connections with family caregivers. We teach you how to be effective when you consult with clients who may be experiencing the worst times of their lives.
Through our Certified Caregiving Consultant training program, you learn how to be with family caregivers through their painful days so you can create a healing experience for them.
Your client may be:
- family caregivers who hire you
- family caregivers who are your colleagues and participate in your workplace support group or Employee Resource Group
- family caregivers who use your financial planning, legal or case management services
- family caregivers who use services or programs through your non-profit, social service agency or house of worship.
With our compassionate expertise, you take care of your personal caregiving experience so you let go of your story in order to fully engage with clients and their stories. Because you learn how to be present with a client, you will feel energized, rather than burnt out, in your work.
Meet four of our CCCs, below.
Our Programs Work
We understand what family caregivers need which means family caregivers overwhelmingly recommend our programs. When you enroll in our training programs, you now have access to successful, proven programs that you add to your work. Our success creates your success.
We ask attendees to our programs, How likely are you to recommend our programs on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being the least and 10 being the most? We’re so proud to deliver programming that family caregivers will recommend:
- 96% are strong advocates of all our programs (selected 8, 9 or 10 on the rating scale).
- 100% are strong advocates of our Family Emergency Planning sessions (selected 8, 9 or 10).
An Ongoing Resource
With our training, you become that ongoing resource for those who care for a family member. We empower you to cultivate meaningful conversations with your clients so you create a safe space to talk out the true challenges the family caregiver faces.
Create Your Niche from our Work
With our insights, we help you find your speciality (or niche) which reflects your experience and expertise so you serve clients with confidence. It’s not about knowing everything but about being a part of a community that knows how to find out everything.
Efficient and Effective Sessions
With our proprietary tools, you can do great work quickly, a bonus for time-pressed clients. Our tools spark an immediate dialogue because your client feels understood. You help a client pinpoint their problems so you can work together to create the solution.
Make a Difference
With our market knowledge, you create programs and services that your clients want so you make a difference in their lives and do work that gives back to you. We’re committed to putting out best work into the world to help you and your clients.
A Planned Experience
You become a resource family caregivers use throughout their experience. The relationship begins with our proprietary plans -- the Family Emergency Plan™ and the Respite In Place Plan™ -- and then continues because of the connection the CCCs establish with their clients.
With our innovative concepts, you gain a unique knowledge base about the caregiving experience. Because you understand what others don’t, you have a unique perspective and service offering in our caregiving space. You will be an invaluable resource for family caregivers.
Denise and two of the CCCs (Dawnita Brown and Jennifer Richey) joined Steve Gurney of Positive Aging Sourcebook to discuss our work. Watch our discussion, below.
Students in our training say:
"My very special CCC training was a heart and spirit experience, as well as skills training. I am very glad I did the CCC training, and I look forward to carrying it forward through my work and personal interactions."
"Denise was fabulous. She is such an example of what she teaches - calm, listening, asking great questions, validating emotions and experiences. Wonderful!"
"This program will greatly benefit the organization I am creating to support the holistic health and wellbeing of family caregivers. Denise provides amazing instruction and support and I am so grateful for all of the tools and resources I've gained through being in the CCC program."
To help you successfully consult with family caregivers, we offer three training choices to meet your needs.
- Bronze Level: Become a Certified Caregiving Consultant. This level is perfect for those who already work with family caregivers or already support family caregivers through their own small business. If you are a financial planner, Employee Resource Group Leader, health care provider or community resource provider, you’ll benefit from this training.
- Silver Level: Become a Certified Caregiving Consultant, Educator and Facilitator. This level is perfect for those who want to launch a business to support family caregivers. You’ll receive support from our mentors (our Skills Consultants) and help to create your marketing and business plans.
- Gold Level: This level is perfect for those who want to hone their presentation skills. You’ll work with Denise over a period of six months to become a CCC, CCE and CCF as well as host and present at a virtual event you create with other program participants. At the end of the program, you’ll have the expertise to work one-on-one with clients, facilitate caregiving conversations and deliver a variety of caregiving workshops and presentations.
Need help deciding? Take our one-minute survey to get a recommendation of which CCC program may be the right fit for you. You also can join Denise for an overview of our training programs on the third Friday of every month at 3 p.m. ET (2 p.m. CT, Noon PT).
Please also feel free to reach out to Denise if you have questions about which option is right for you. You can email Denise (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call her at 773-343-6341.